Saturday 11 May 2013

Review: Kiss Me if You Can (Bachelor Blogs #1) - Carly Phillips



He’s New York’s Most Eligible Bachelor…
She’s just not interested! 
Sam Cooper (“Coop”) has just become the most eligible bachelor in New York City. After foiling a jewelry store robbery, and being rewarded with the ring of his choice, single women all over the city are fawning over the crime reporter. But Coop isn’t interested in the admirers sending racy underwear his way. His attention is centered solely on Lexie Davis, the only woman in the city who claims not to be interested in his bachelor status. 
Instead free-spirited Lexie is more interested in Coop’s antique ring, and its (potentially scandalous) history in her family. But Coop is quickly becoming more than just her route to the ring But when Coop’s investigation starts to uncover the truth, will she trust her heart – and her family secrets – to this most eligible bachelor?


The first Carly Phillips series I read was the 'Chandler Brothers' series which I remember being good, light, quick reads. However, since then this is the third Phillips series that I have tried to read and find myself unable to get into (the others being 'Hot Zone' and 'Serendipity').

I found that this novel, the first in the 'Bachelor Blogs' series, read a bit like a first attempt at a novel - not that I am belittling Phillips's talent, God knows I couldn't write a book - but just that it seemed to have incredible amounts of superlative detail and yet none when it really mattered. In the novel there are continuous descriptions of Macs vs. PCs, even to the point where Phillips felt it necessary to describe (in detail) the Safari icon to readers, and yet when it came to character emotions or physicality the details were sadly lacking. Repetitive phrases and descriptions of Lexie's nose wrinkling or "sheath" (what a romantic euphemism) do not count. All in all I found the novel to be a weak effort with little to no humour that caught me and a distinct lack of characterisation for both Coop and Lexie. I didn't care about either character, their issues (described so bluntly as to make me believe that even the author was apathetic to their respective plights) or their emotional journeys (such as they were throughout the book, both occurring in the final ten pages).

Overall I was very disappointed by the first in one of the most recent of Phillips's series. I really would have liked to have at least been marginally entertained by the novel, but I just couldn't get involved enough to care about any of the characters. Unfortunately I think this might be the last Carly Phillips that I pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment