Tuesday 31 December 2013

Top 5 Romances of 2013






Ok, admittedly I am still in a Christmas induced food coma and haven't had that much time to do any reading or reviewing, but I thought that it'd be a nice way to wrap up the year with a quick overview of some of my favourite romances of 2013.




1. Rosie Hopkin's Sweet Shop of Dreams - Jenny Colgan: Ok, so it's a little cheat as Rosie was actually published in 2012, but I read it in 2013 - does that count? Let's say it does. To say I loved this offering from Colgan is a bit of an understatement, I somewhat rediscovered her through this book and am so glad that I did, it's a wonderful little life-affirming novel. However, if you are after Colgan's more recent work I also throughly enjoyed The Loveliest Little Chocolate Shop in Paris. (I know, I still haven't got my hands on Christmas at Rosie Hopkins, what is the world coming to!?)

2. The Longest Holiday - Paige Toon: I was so sure that I'd reviewed this book when selecting my top favourite books of the year that I was more than a little shocked to discover that I hadn't at all! Needless to say that I absolutely loved it, as I do most of Toon's books, and will rectify that oversight as soon as possible.  In the meantime let me say that Toon has that yearning, long-haul romance down to a tee.

3. Here's Looking at You - Mhairi McFarlane: Having just gushed about this book in a full review it is hard to think what else to say about it here other than that with this book, along with previous You Had Me at Hello, new author McFarlane has definitely made her way on to my auto-buy list. 

4. Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell: Something a little bit different with a YA offering from the wonderful Rowell, the YA scene is going from strength to strength and is definitely a genre to watch out for. Whilst admittedly unsure of Rowell's previous adult offering, Eleanor & Park is a fantastic, haunting novel that is a must read for any age.

And finally...

5. Christmas at Claridges - Karen Swan: I would definitely proclaim Karen Swan's novel as my favourite of the year. Having taken me completely by surprise I absolutely loved this novel and ran out to get copies for both my sisters for Christmas, a definite all time favourite and one to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment