Thursday 13 March 2014

Mini-view: Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism #1) - Jill Shalvis*


Co-owner of the town's only kennel, Lilah Young has lived in Sunshine, Idaho, all her life. Pilot-for-hire Brady Miller is just passing through. But he soon has Lilah abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire.
It's Brady's nature to resist being tied down, but there's something about Lilah and her menagerie that keeps him coming back for more.

I seem to have been on a bit of a Jill Shalvis splurge of late and I have to say I've been loving it! Animal Magnetism is the first in another astoundingly successful series of Shalvis's and, I believe, new to paperback in the UK.

It's always been a little bug-bear of mine that some of my favourite American authors have only ever been available on the Kindle or in battered, secondhand, imported paperbacks (if at all). However, it looks like things are slowly changing with both Shalvis and Gibson being introduced to the UK paperback mass market, finally!

I recently reviewed, and fell a little bit in love with, the latest in Shalvis's Lucky Harbor series. In that review I mentioned that I had been warned off Shalvis's books in the past, being told that they were "too sweet". Whilst I heartily disagreed in respect to the Lucky Harbor series I have to say that I saw what my well meaning friend meant when reading Animal Magnetism. Honestly though, I still don't get what's so bad about being 'sweet'?

Animal Magnetism is perhaps more cutsey by nature than some of Shalvis's other books but all the trademarks of her great, engaging and amusing reads are still there. In Animal Magnetism we are introduced to a whole new cast of perfect small town characters, including the obligatory intriguingly single men. Lilah, our heroine, is a little clumsier and more addicted to junk food than most. She's disarmingly honest, compassionate and charming and instantly wormed her way into my heart. Brady is the typical big, bad and brooding hero. Not looking to set down roots, Brady is determined not to fall for Lilah and keep things strictly physical. However, try as he might, Brady (like the reader) isn't immune to Lilah's or Sunshine's small town charms. What follows is a cute, light-hearted read that is full of plenty laughs and romance, enough to keep any reader and fan of cheerful romances happy.

If you like bare chested men cuddling fluffy little animals then this book is for you. In fact, I think you might benefit from seeing the American cover for the book:

Aww!

A great introduction to Shalvis and American romances of this elk, Animal Magnetism is a great little read that I'd heartily recommend. 


*ARC copy received in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment