Wednesday 28 May 2014

Blog: Liebster Award


So, I've been away for a while and what better way to ease my way back into blogging than with a little tag thing. The Liebster Award is an award that is given by bloggers to other bloggers, a way of supporting little blogs that you love to read. I was nominated by the lovely Katie Thompson at Into the Bookcase, one of my favourite blogs, so I'd definitely recommend that you go over and give her reviews a read (as well as her own answers to the Liebster Award). Katie asked some brilliant questions and I'm going to get on with answering them after the cut



Firstly, if you're interested the rules for the award are as follows:


  1. Thank the blogger who nominated you.
  2. Answer the eleven questions he/she asks.
  3. Nominate eleven bloggers.
  4. Ask these eleven bloggers eleven questions.
  5. Let these eleven bloggers know that they have been nominated.

I've thanked Katie so now to answer her questions:


1. What's the last book you read, and what book are you currently reading?

The last book I read was Thirteen Weddings by Paige Toon (review soon) and since I'm still getting over that I've moved on to the lighthearted Date Expectations by Paul Reizin. 

2.  How do you organise your TBR pile?

Ha. Well, I've just moved which means that I've discovered a whole box of books that I've yet to read so my TBR 'pile' is now more of a bookcase. I try to read books that I've been lucky enough to be given in advance before their release date and other than that I have a very sophisticated "eeny, meany, miney, mo" system.

3. What is your favourite genre, and why?

As much as I'd love to say it was romance (and let's be honest it probably is) I'm going to go a little left field and say that I think comedy is my favourite genre. I love books that make me laugh, from crime to fantasy to the odd romance. But I will honestly read just about anything.

4. Do you like watching film adaptations of books?

Yes, in general I do. Films are not direct copies of the books, they're a different product in their own right and can often add something to your favourite read. I've also discovered some great books through films and even, occasionally, preferred the film adaptation to a book that I didn't enjoy all that much. 

5. If you could live as your favourite character for a day, what would you do?

I have no idea who my favourite character even is so this question is just plain mean. I know that one of my favourite characters is definitely Claire from Outlander and being a history student the possibility of going back in time is really, really enticing and I'd love to wander round 18th century Scotland. A day also seems to be the perfect amount of time to go without modern luxuries.



6. Have you met any authors? If not, who would you like to meet?

I went with my sister to meet John Green a few years a go and I heard Terry Pratchett speak when I was very little, but I've not met any author recently. I'd love to met Stuart MacBride, his books are brilliant and always make me laugh, or Jennifer Crusie - a firm favourite.

7. Paperback or Kindle?

I love books and I love all formats of book. Having just moved and lugged ten boxes of books across the country I am definitely going off the heavier paperback and I do love the convenience of the Kindle. I find it very hard to get rid of books, even if I know I am not going to read them again so for that I'd say the Kindle, but physical copies of my favourite books always find their way on to my shelves. 

Interestingly if it's a book for my degree I have to have it in hard copy as I really don't like reading academic books on the Kindle.

8. What is the longest book you've read?

I think it was Lord of the Rings, which I absolutely love. I have also read some of the Russian greats which felt longer although I don't think they actually were.

9. What is your favourite book series?

I love a lot of series, but as far as on-going recurring characters go my favourite has to be the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's hard to not get attached to Jamie and Claire and I love the historical detail that Gabaldon goes into in her novels. 

Another series that's more loosely connected that I love and cannot get enough of is Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series, the Bridgerton family is the family that everybody wants to marry into.

10. If you opened a book shop, what would you name it?

Hasn't every reader thought of opening a book shop or a cafe? I know I have but I spend more time dreaming about sneakily reading all the stock or the massive squishy sofa I'd have inside rather than the name. I'd probably go with something like Rosie's Reads (because I'm imaginative) or maybe Pumpkin? I used to really want a fairy-tale themed cafe called Pumpkin before I remembered the railway station chain that already exists. Bummer.


11. You’re stuck on an island, and can only have one book to read. What book would you choose?

I really want to say something like Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie which is one of my all time favourites but I'm worried that I'd start to hate it. Maybe something that I've always meant to read but have never quite gotten round to, War and Peace? Or I could finally finish the Gormenghast trilogy.

Now to nominate eleven bloggers: I can't think of eleven people who haven't already been nominated but I'll try my best, I'm essentially just going to pick some of my favourite people and hope they haven't done it already (if you have and still fancy answering my very deep and personal questions, do it!).

Charlotte (@CharlDibs) from Miscrawl
Chloe (@Chicklitchloe) from Chick-Lit Chloe
Eilidh (@Ellsdoug), over at Ellsdoug 
Erin (@Erinschoicee), blog at Erin's Choice
Heather (@hross42) from Random Redhead Ramblings
Laura (@Lauralovelock) who can be found at She Loves to Read
Lauren (@ LLABB2014), blog at Lauren Looks at Brilliant Books
Maria (@AustenStudent) over at Austen Student
Megan (@MeganInTheSun) from Reading in the Sunshine
Sam (@sam_smith73) from The Book Corner
Sophie (@Reviewedthebook) from Reviewed the Book


My eleven questions

1. What's been your favourite book that you've read this year (so far)?
2. What book are you most looking forward to reading this year?
3. Which book do you feel like you should have read but you never have?
4. Which book have you never been quite able to finish?
5. What's the first book you remember reading?
6. A book you didn't think you'd like but ended up loving?
7. Whats the book that you recommend most often?
8. Do you prefer to use the library or buy books?
9. Favourite place to read?
10. Favourite reading snack?
11. Other than reading (obviously) what's your favourite hobby?

Hope those are interesting enough for you guys, let me know how you get on with answering them and thanks again to the lovely Katie for nominating me.

No comments:

Post a Comment